Curlex® II is a double net biodegradable erosion control blanket made from Great Lakes Aspen curled wood excelsior with 80% 6-inch fibers or greater fiber length. Material is seed free and does not contain chemical additives. Designed to promote ideal growing conditions for grass seed while simultaneously protecting topsoil from wind and water erosion. Offered in 4' and 8' wide rolls.
Must be purchased in one pallet (15 rolls) increments. You cannot purchase 16 rolls. You must purchase in multiples of 15.
Choose from natural fiber color to green. The green color-coded plastic netting is offered for applications requiring UV resistance, strength and longevity. The Quick Mow photo-degradable netting is recommended for urban, golf course and certain roadside projects where mowing is required.
|Channels||Shear Stress: 108 Pa (2.25 lb/ft²)|
|Slopes||Steepness: < 1.5H:1V|
- Highway embankments, ditch bottoms and slopes, bridges, approaches and medians
- Residential, commercial & industrial developments
- Urban drainage, stream banks and waterways
- Golf course fairways, roughs, waterways & drop structures
- Landfill caps, side slopes, and let down structures
- Pipeline right-of-ways
American Excelsior Company is the inventor of biodegradable erosion control blankets. Developed in the early 1960's, Curlex excelsior blankets are specifically designed to actually promote ideal growing conditions for grass seed, while simultaneously protecting topsoil from wind and water erosion.
By design, Curlex blankets have a built-in swell factor - wet curled excelsior fibers slightly expand in thickness and interlock to form a strong, fiber matrix. This allows the fibers to provide intimate contact with local terrain. Water flow is trained to follow the curled fiber matrix. The roughness of the curled excelsior matrix slows the velocity to a point where gravity takes over, which allows moisture to slowly seep into the topsoil to promote ideal growing conditions.
Added feature: Curlex II erosion control blankets are manufactured with a folded center. The fold allows the complete unrolling of the blanket and increases efficiency of installation. Installation Guidance
Most straight-line fiber blankets draw the line at 270 g/m2 (.50 lb/yd2), but not Curlex. At just under 400 g/m2 (.75 lb/yd2), Curlex blankets bring 50% more erosion control fibers to your job site. Combine that with a roll that is wider than conventional blankets and you have today's most effective and efficient multi-purpose biodegradable erosion control blanket.
Installation of Curlex Erosion Control Blankets
Before installing Curlex blankets, the seedbed shall be inspected by the Owner's Representative to ensure it has been properly compacted and fine graded to remove any existing rills. It shall be free of obstructions, such as tree roots, projections such as stones, and other foreign objects. Grass seed shall match soil conditions to allow for maximum germination, dense vegetations, and a structural root system. Contractor shall proceed when satisfactory conditions are present. After the area has been properly shaped, seeded, fertilized, and compacted, locate the start of the roll, making sure the roll is facing toward the area to be covered, and then roll out the blanket. Blankets shall be rolled out flat, even and smooth without stretching the material and then anchored to the subgrade.
- It is recommended that the blankets be installed in the same direction as the water flow; however on short slopes it may be more practical to install horizontally across the width of the application. If more than one width is required, simply abut the edges together and secure the blankets with a common row of biodegradable staples, steel staples, or stakes. Overlapping of Curlex excelsior blankets is not required or recommended. An exception is waterway slopes.
- Curlex blankets shall be centered to offset a seam in the middle of the waterway. They shall be installed in the same direction as the water flow. The adjoining blankets shall be installed away from the center of channel and concetrated water flow. They shall be secured by a common row of staples. It is usually not necessary to overlap Curlex blankets; however, a 2" shingle type installation shall be used in waterway slopes applications. Curlex blanket installation should continue up the side slopes 3 feet above the anticipated high water elevation. Flanks exposed to runoff, or sheet flow, must be protected by a check slot or trenched. Curless blankets shall be trenched at the start of the channel and anchored using a staggered staple pattern at end of roll overlaps and end of roll terminations.
Disclaimer: Curlex is a system for erosion control and re-vegetation on slopes and channels. American Excelsior Company (AEC) believes that the information contained herein to be reliable and accurate for use in erosion control and re-vegetation applications. However, since physical conditions vary from job site to job site and even within a given job site, AEC makes no performance guarantees and assumes no obligation or liability for the reliability or accuracy of information contained herein for the results, safety, or suitability of using Curlex, or for damages occurring in connection with the installation of any erosion control product whether or not made by AEC or its affilliates, except as separately and specifically made in writing by AEC. These specifications are subject to change without notice.